Early Days of Its Creation
- Commercial Poultry was initially introduced in Pakistan by M/S Shaver’s of Canada with the help of PIA in 1962.The idea of Pakistan Poultry Association was floated by a few poultry farmers and efforts were made to create it in 1979. It is a matter of pleasure now that an upshot of their dream came out as a 2nd largest industry of Pakistan. It was just because of day and night untiring hard work of a few leaders, that poultry sector developed rapidly and its growth rate went 15 to 20% annually in our country. A just few personalities were the Pioneers; those were Mr. Salahuddin (Late), who organized a Pakistan Poultry Board. The first and last chairman of the Board was Executive Director (then) of PIA Shaver Major (Retd) Muhammad Anwar (Late). Mr. Salahuddin, Mr. Khalil Sattar, Mr.Yousaf Ehsan Khokhar, Mr. Muzahar, Dr. Abdul Ghafoor Chaudhary, Mr. Afsar Qadri (Late) and Sardar Abdul Hameed Nakai were the members of the board.
- In 1979 Poultry board could not work properly and in its very initial days faced a lot of mis-understandings and criticism of the members, therefore poultry board was dissolved. After that, Mr. Salahuddin and Mr. Khalil Sattar put down the Foundation stone of Pakistan Poultry Association and they became founders of the PPA in 1980. Other Members were:-
|a.||Mr. Muhammad Afsar Qadri|| (Sindh)|
|c.||Mr. Abdul Hameed Khan|| (Sindh)|
|d.||Haji Fasih Uddin||(Sindh)|
|f.||Mr. Yousaf Ehsan Khokhar||(Punjab)|
|h.||Sardar Abdul Hameed Nakai||(Punjab)|
|i.||Haleem Dil Khan||(Punjab)|
|j.||Rana Sajjad Haider||(Punjab)|
|k.||Dr. Abdul Ghafoor Chaudhar||(Punjab)|
|l.||Mian Mumtaz A Sheikh||(Punjab)|
|m.||Haji Muhammad Abdullah||(Punjab)|
Status of Industry in 1980
- The above members worked very hard, did their best in development of the poultry sector and streamlined the working of Pakistan Poultry Association properly. There were only two Feed Mills in the entire country at that time. One was Lever Brother’s feed Mill and other was the Pak Feed Industry. Afterwards Al-fateh Feeds at Faisalabad and Aftab Feeds in Sindh (Mehran Feeds) came into being. At that time Farmers were not interested in buying the feed made of mills, most of them used to purchase the ingredients (Raw Material) and after home mixing, it was preferred to consume. In Layer Breeding, breeder of ARBORACERS was with Commander Afzal and Breeder of SHAVER was with PIA Shaver.
First of all in Pakistan the credit of bringing the Broiler Breeder goes to Commander Afzal, who imported the broiler breeder of ARBORACERS After wards Syed Tariq Ali of Packages imported HI-BREED and introduced to the farmers.
Development of Poultry Industry
- Layer farming work was mostly undertaken in the private sector. Saith Sarwar then, Secretary Live stock and Dairy Development Department, Government of Punjab, made the efforts to start broiler in Pakistan. Dr. Wahab Khan, Dr. Inaam and Dr. Muhammad Salim Qureshi (Late) contributed their services for existence and strengthening the Poultry Association. They got sanctioned subsidy, exemption of taxes on poultry from the government of Pakistan and extended their maximum cooperation to this sector. But the industry brazen out a lot of challenges/Adversaries, which were set against the broiler and Farmi eggs. Religious Teachers (Maulvies) of our country also opened a front against the farmi chicken and egg and declared it as Hiram to consume. Farmers had to discard this view point; hence they faced a lot of difficulties to introduce the broiler and eggs to the general public. Farmers took an initiative to undertake free distribution to homes of general public and especially residences of religious teachers (Maulvis). It proved to be Most supportive in changing the opinion of public therefore graph of adversity of broiler and eggs turned to downwards and criticism was condensed up to some extent.
Rates of Poultry Products
- At that time in 8 weeks only 3 pounds weight could be obtained from the broiler. Early years were not suitable for the layer farming because MARIX VACCINE was not being provided and layer flocks had to suffer form the diseases. One day old chick of layer was sold @ Rs.2.00 and price of feed was Rs.26 to 30 per bag. Vaccination of ND and Foul pox to the Layer and only ND to broiler was carried out. One day old Chick was marketed @ Rs. 00.90 (14 ANNA), and rate of Egg BOX was Rs.60 to 120. Cull Bird was sold @ Rs.6.00 and broiler meat was sold @ Rs.6.00 per sair. Maximum work of marketing was carried out by the veterinarians. Therefore the poultry industry kept on growing speedily and getting strengthened day by day.
Elected Chairman of PPA
- Following leaders were elected as Central chairmen in the initial days and they performed their responsibilities extremely well:-
|a||Mr. Khalil Sattar||(Sindh)||1979-81 Two Tenures|
|b||Sardar Abdul Hameed||Punjab||1981-82|
|d||Major (Retd) Mumtaz Khan||Sarhad||1983-84|
|e||Syed Muzahar Hussain Abadi||Sindh||1984-85|
|f|| Nawbzada Halim Dil Khan||Pun jab||1985-86|
|g||Mr. Afsar Qadri||Balochistan||1986-87|
|h||Capt (pilot) Siddik Malik||Sarhad||1987-88|
|i||Syed Muzahar Hussain Abadi||Sindh||1988-89|
|j||Mr.M.Yousaf Ehsan Khokhar||Punjab||1989-90|
|k||Mr. Abdul Hameed Khan||Balochistan||1990-91|
|l||Mr. Sajid Mumtaz Khan||Sarhad||1991-92|
|m||Mr. Khalil Sattar||Sindh||1992-93|
|n||Dr. Muhammad Sadiq||Punjab||1993-94|
|o||Mr. Afsar Qadri||Balochistan||1994-95|
|p||Capt(pilot) Siddik Malik||Sarhad||1995-96|
|q||Mr. Mueen Ahsanuddin||Sindh||1996-97|
|r||Dr. Muhammad Aslam||Punjab||1997-98|
|s||Mr. Afsar Qadri||Balochistan||1998-99|
|t||Capt(pilot) Siddik Malik||Sarhad|| 1999-2000|
|u||Mr. Khalil Sattar||Sindh||2000-01|
|v||Dr. Muhammad Amjad||Punjab||2001-02|
|w||Mr. Afsar Qadri||Balochistan||2002-03|
|aa||Mr.M.Yousaf Ehsan Khokhar||Sarhad||2003-04|
|bb||Mr. Khalil Sattar||Sindh||2004-05|
|cc||Mr. Raza Mehmood Khursand||Punjab||2005-06|
|dd||Mir Tahir Zaidi||Balochistan||2006-07|
|ee||Mr. Abdul Basit||NWFP||2007-08|
|ff||Mr. Khalil Sattar||Southern Zone||2008-09|
|gg||Dr. Muhammad Aslam||Northern Zone||2009-10|
|hh||Mr. Khalil Sattar||Southern Zone||2010-11|
|ii||Dr. Hassan Sarosh Akram|| Punjab||2011-12|
|jj||Mr. Khalil A.Sattar|| Southern Zone||2012-13|
|kk||Dr. Muhammad Aslam|| Punjab||2013-14|
|ll||Major (R) Ahmed Waseem|| Southern Zone||2014-15|
|mm||Mr. Khalid Saleem Malik|| Punjab||2015-16|
|Nn||Mr. Khalil A.Sattar|| Southern Zone||2016-17|
|OO||Dr. Muhammad Aslam||Punjab||2017-18|
|Pp||Mr. Khalil A.Sattar|| Southern Zone||2018-19|
|Qq||Dr. Muhammad Aslam||Punjab||2019-20|
Problems Confronted Disease Control
- In the expedition of Poultry Sector it confronted with most awful circumstances many a times. In 1988 a disease named Hydropericardium Syndrome spread all over the country and just ruined the poultry farms. We salute to the scientist of the poultry industry, because they invented vaccine themselves, against the Hydro syndrome and till today there is no danger of this disease.
- Initially Sales Tax was imposed on poultry sector, which was exempted after an effective agitation and proving unity by the association. After that following taxes were also imposed on poultry business community, which were irrational and unreasonable. Poultry farmers were being pressed hard to pay the taxes by the Town/Tehsil Municipal Administrations. PPA achieved exemption and reduction of the following taxes as mentioned below:-
|a||Building Plans approval Fee is||Rs.5.00 per Sq Ft – Reduced to Rs. 1 per Sq Ft|
|b||No Objection Certificate Fee is||Rs.5.00 per Sq Ft – Exempted|
|c||License Fee is||Rs.20,000.00 per Farm – Exempted|
|d||Malba Fee is||Rs.3.00 per Sq Ft – Exempted|
|e||Development Charges are||Rs.5,000.00 per kanal – Exempted|
|Professional & Property Tax as per Schedule|
Marriage Ordinance of Food Ban
- In 1992 Ordnance was passed and food was banned in the marriage functions. Resultantly demand of broiler suddenly reduced and market faced acute slump. Again members of the industry got united and came on roads to make the government realized that injustice is being done with the industry. In 2004 again food was banned in wedding functions. Leaders of the industry again trying their hard to get relief from the government by getting the ordnance amended and withdrawal of the food ban. It is a major hurdle in growth of the poultry industry, for which a letters to Mr. Sikandar Hayat Bosan, Federal Minister for Food, Agriculture & Live stock, has already been written requesting the minister, to allow survival of poultry industry and to allow National economy to grow.
During budget year 2006/2007 the problem was resolved and permission of one disch by the supreme court/cabinet was granted.
Outbreak of Avian Influenza (Bird Flu Rumor) 2004
- Avian Influenza outbreak in commercial layers was first recorded from various towns of Karachi. A study was carried out by microbiologists and research completed on “Epidemiology of Avian Influenza H7 outbreak in Karachi” after completing the survey of the poultry farms, as per findings, Avian Influenza of low pathogenicity was noticed during the first nine months of the year 2003, from November, 2003 onward a highly pathogenic Avian Influenza (AI) virus attacked layer flocks. According to seasonal incidence in commercial layers, as many as 6 outbreaks occurred during February-March 2003, which is 14.63 percent of the total incidents. Five outbreaks were recorded during April-June 2003, which were 12.19 per cent. During July-September 2003, 3 outbreaks were registered, which is 7.30 percent, while 27 outbreaks recorded during October-December 2003 showing 65.85 percent of the total outbreaks. During December 2003, 26 different outbreaks were recorded from all over Karachi, with heavy mortality. Daily mortality averaged 4 to 10 percent almost in all cases. The youngest infected age group was 5 to 7 weeks but major losses occurred in older flocks of 40-60 weeks of age, while the oldest aged birds were 133 weeks (Molted Flock). According to the findings of the study (AI) virus may occur through some contaminated vaccine because of the fact that a certain type of ND vaccine is commonly and more frequently used in Layer Flocks. Such incidences have been reported previously in medical history on many occasions.
- Avian Influenza is presently a world wide problem and has been reported from USA, Belgium, Holand, Maxico and Australia besides Pakistan involving various sero types of influenza virus in chicken. It is H5 type, which has been responsible for recent out breaks in Vietnam, Taiwan, Thailand, South Korea, Hong Kong and Japan, killing both chicken and human patients. Our present losses are due to H7 but we have also titers of H9. It was also noticed that the local press reported incidence of some “Avian Influenza” in children in Karachi but the type of virus had not been indicated. The Public Health Department failed to highlight the issue except a statement by the Pakistan Medical Association, which had created un necessary panic in public. Afterwards both the medical and veterinary concerned departments investigated the problem and it was revealed that H7 and H9 viruses are not harmful to the human health. Total loss at Karachi due to recent outbreak caused by H7 was 3.5 Millions.
Again on 26th February 2006 it was announced by the government of palostan that there is H5N! stain present in the country therefore indudtry sustained loss of about 20 Bilions and rrevised after 4-6 months.
Upgradation of PPA Punjab Zone
- The office of the PPA (Punjab Zone) was upgraded by appointing an Army Officer (retired) Major Syed Javaid Hussain Bukhari, as Secretary Punjab Zone, who is looking after the office affairs efficiently since September 2002. All activities of the industry are being coordinated by this office having close liaison with the Central Office of PPA and government agencies. Pakistan Poultry Association (Punjab Zone) has proved his worth and its growth rate went up substantially. Now this office is working very smoothly and just like a secretariat office and enjoying very cordial relations with all government offices, related to livestock and poultry. This has definitely minimized the problems of the industry by making close coordination with the government office.
- Pakistan Poultry Association always cooperated with the government of Pakistan and maintained very close contact. That’s why association received respect from all government quarters. Its activities are always appreciated by the government which is constantly made for welfare of the general public. Association is busy to provide poultry product to the masses on cheap and affordable rates.
Organization of Poultry Advisory Boards
- Association faced many problems at all levels and there was a need to organize
Poultry board on province and federal level. Therefore Poultry association made efforts to establish the boards and ultimately succeeded in organizing the provincial poultry advisory board and federal poultry advisory board by the Government of Punjab and Government of Pakistan respectively. Meetings of the boards are regularly held and these boards are working for development of the poultry by solving the problems of the industry,
Re-Organization of Central/Zonal Executive Bodies
Pakistan Poultry Association was re-organized in 1988 and undertook its smooth functioning under the elected bodies. Elections are now being conducted annually in the month of September every year. Following leaders were elected as chairmen of Pakistan Poultry Association (Punjab Zone) since 1988 and all leaders did well during their tenure. Priority of every chairman remained to keep the flag of PPA high, by serving better to the nation. In 2007 New Ordinance was issued and Punjab Zone was re- designated as PPA (Northern Zone):-
|1||Sardar Abdul Hamid||1980-81& 81-82 Twice|
|2||Mr. Ejaz Hussain||1982-83|
|3||Mr. Sajjad Haider Rana||1983-84|
|4||Nawabzada Halim Dilkhan||1984-85 &85-86|
|5||Mr. Masood Ullah Sheikh||1986-87|
|6||Mr. Naslullah Sheikh||1987-88|
|7||Mr. M. Yousaf Ehsan Khokhar||© 1988 To 1990|
|8||Dr. Muhammad Aslam||1990 To 1991 &91-92 Twice|
|9||Dr. Muhammad Amjad||1992 /93|
|10||Dr. Muhammad Sadiq||© 1993 To 1994|
|11||Mian Mumtaz A. Sheikh||1994 To 1995|
|12||Dr. Ch: Abdul Ghafoor||1995-96|
|13||Mr. M. Yousaf Ehsan Khokhar||1996-97|
|14||Dr. Muhammad Aslam||© 1997-98|
|15||Mr.Raza Mehmood Khursan||1998 To 1999|
|16||Mr.Khalid Salim Malik||1999 To 2000|
|17||Dr. Ch: Abdul Ghafoor||2000-21|
| 18||Dr. Muhammad Amjad||© 2001/2002|
| 19||Qazi Muhammad Akbar||2002 To 2003|
| 20||Mr. Abdul Basit||2003 To 2004|
| 21||Dr. Hassan Sarosh Akram|| 2004 To 2005|
| 22||Mr. Raza Mehmood Khursand||© 2005 To 2006|
| 23|| Mr. Shahid Mehmood Dar||2006-2007|
| 24||Mr. Abdul Haye Mehta||2007-2008|
| 25||Mr. Khaleeque Arshad||2008-2009|
| 26||Raza Mehmood Khursand||(NZ) 2009-2010|
| 27||Mr. Abdul Haye Mehta||(NZ) 2010-2011|
| 28||Dr. Arshad Hanif Ch.||(NZ) 2011-2012|
| 29||Dr. Ghulam Mehboob||(NZ) 2012-2013|
| 30||Raza Mehmood Khursand||(NZ) 2013-2014|
| 31||Dr. Muhammad Mustafa Kamal||(NZ) 2014-2015|
| 3184.108.40.206.||Rai Mansab Ali KharlDr. Abdul KarimDr. Arshad Hanif ChCh. Muhammad Nusrat TahirCh. Muhammad Fargham33||(NZ) 2015-2016(NZ) 2016-2017(NZ) 2017-2018(NR) 2018-2019(NR) 2019-2020|
Silver Jubilee Year of PPA
- Pakistan Poultry Association has become 25 years old. And we are celebrating the year 2005 as Silver jubilee year. It is just blessing and kindness of the Allah Almighty and definitely efforts of the all leaders, who did their best for its development. All have rendered their dedicated services for its expansion by working day and night. We always pray that may God Almighty bestow his blessing and compassions on the Poultry industry of Pakistan to keep it growing and getting more strength in coming days.
- APPROVAL OF CENTRAL GENERAL BODY FOR SHIFTING OF PPA CENTRAL OFFICE TO ISLAMABAD.
Mr. Khalil Sattar emphasized that for lobbying and resolution of the PPA problems central office should be shifted to Islamabad as soon as possible. he added and running expenses of the office, funds are required to be generated. Haji Muhammad Bashir was invited to advise the house, how to raise funds for the above purpose. Haji Muhammad Bashir proposed that at least 20 Lac per annum would be required for running expenses of the Central Secretariat, i.e. salaries and transportation of the secretary/staff. In addition to that, for lobbying more amounts would be required. After detailed discussion by the house finally it was decided that:-
- Central Secretariat would immediately be shifted from Karachi to Islamabad on a rented accommodation.
b. Dr. Bashir Mahmood Bhatti would be appointed as Central Secretary of PPA.
c. A Suzuki Car (Cultus) will be purchased for conveyance of the Central Secretary.
d. An Account for Central Office would be opened in Standerd Chartered Bank, Diplomat Enclave Branch Islamabad, in the Name of Pakistan Poultry Association. Chairman PPA, Mr. Raza Mehmood Khursand, Convener Central Office Standing Committee Dr. Muhammad Sadiq and Central Secretary Dr. Bashir Mehmood Bhatti would be the signatories to operate the account.
e. Rs.24,79,139.00 (Rs. Twenty four Lac, Seventy Nine thousands, One Hundred and Thirty Nine only) are balance in PPA’s account, raised against bird flu rumors, will be transferred into the account of Central Office Islamabad.
f. In addition to that Rs.17 Lacs, i.e. Rs.01 Lac per head would be remitted to PPA’s account of Central office Islamabad by 17 Companies.
The above decisions were highly appreciated by the house. Therefore it was proposed by Dr. Arshad Hanif, seconded by Mr. Khalid Salim Malik and house approved the proposals unanimously that Central office be immediately shifted to Islamabad.
- SHIFTING OF CENTRAL OFFICE OF PPA FROM KARACHI AT ISLAMABAD
Mr. Raza Mehmood Khursand was very delighted while expressing the shifting and establishment of Central Office of PPA at Islamabad. Besides mentioning the advantages of shifting the central office at capital area, Mr. Chairman said that PPA (Punjab Zone) was also renovated/upgraded during his tenure as Chairman PPA (Punjab Zone) and again God has given the opportunity to him to establish PPA Central Office at Islamabad. He said that efforts are being put to facilitate the industry and members of Pakistan Poultry Association. All members highly appreciated the efforts made by the chairman PPA, initially for selection of accurate place, provision of staff and finally fulfillment of allied necessities of the office.
16. MEETING FOR BIRD FLUE HELD ON 16TH NOVEMBER 2005 AT SERENA HOTEL
A high level joint meeting of Pakistan Poultry Association, Experts from MINFAL Government of Pakistan and Scientists of National Reference Laboratory Islamabad, was held at Serena Hotel, Islamabad on 16th November 2005. It was confirmed by the Experts from National Reference Laboratory, Islamabad and private laboratories that Pakistan is free from Avian Influenza or Bird Flue (H5N1).The Government has already imposed ban on import of poultry and its products from affected countries. In the meeting it was disclosed that laboratories are testing the samples and issuing reports on weekly basis regularly. There is no evidence of any virus of Avian Influenza in Pakistan. It was however, emphasized that monitoring and surveillance both at public and private sectors be strengthened. Mr. Chairman stressed upon the need that farmers must give special attention on bio security of the farms.
17. COLLECTION OF FUNDS FOR CENTRAL OFFICE
Mr. Chairman informed the house that Rs.24,67,500 were transferred/utilized to PPA Central Office. Out of which Rs.818,000 are left. Mr. Chairman informed the house that about one hundred thousands are spent monthly on central office. Therefore a sum of Rs.2.5000 millions may be arranged so that requirement of the central office could be met smoothly. After discussion following members were also adopted as members of the Office Committee to collect the funds for Central Office:-
|Dr. Muhammad Sadiq||Convenor|
|Mr. Raza Mehmood Khursand||Member|
|Mr. Khalil Sattar||Member|
|Dr. Muhammad Aslam||Member|
|Mr. Khalid Salim Malik||Member|
Purchase and take Possession of House No.24-R Johar Town, For PPA (NOrthern Zone) Office
Thank God, we have achieved the goal Under the able chairmanship of Mr. Abdul Haye Mehta, office building committee succeeded to purchase a House of 1 x Kanal area at Johar Town. It could become possible because of untiring efforts of Haji Muhammad Bashir, Patron In Chief PPA and Convener Office Building committee. Entire Poultry industry generously contributed towards this fund. In-augural ceremony of the new office of PPA (Northern Zone was arranged on 25th October, 2008. To appreciate the efforts of Patron In Chief and Chairmen PPA, an resolution was also passed by the Zonal Executive Committee of PPA (Northern Zone). Member ZEC Dr. Mustafa Kamal proposed Chaudhary Muhammad Azmat seconded and the house approved the following resolution unanimously:-
“Be it resolved and is hereby resolved that untiring efforts of Haji Muhammad Bashir, Mr. Abdul Basit, Mr. Abdul Hate Mehta and the members of committee put to purchase House No. 24-R located at Johar Town Lahore are highly appreciated “
Mr. Muhammad Khaleeque Arshad alongwith, Major (Retd) Secretary PPA Northern Zone) and the new elected ZEC took over the Secretariat office of (Northern Zone) on 1st December, 2008 and executed the duties with effect from the same date.
Contribution for IDPS to Mr. Shehbaz Shareef Chief Minister of Punjab
- On 16th June, 2009 A high level delegation of PPA headed by Haji Muhammad Bashir Patron In Chief PPA, met with Mian Shehbaz Shareef, Chief Minister Pubjab and handed over a cheque of Rs.8.400 Millions in CM’s Releif Fund for rehabilitation of Displaced people of Swat. Mr. Khalil Sattar Chairman PPA, Muhammad Khaleeque Arshad Chairman PPA (Northern Zone), Dr. Muhammad Aslam and Mr. Abdul Basit, Former Chairmen PPA, Dr. Anwer Mehmood Randhawa Convener Standing Committee PPA, Dr. Ghulam Mehboob Member ZEC and Major (Retd) Syed Javaid Hussain Bukhari, Zonal Secretary PPA also accompanied the delegation.
- Mr. Abdul Basit former Chairman PPA presented a memorandum to Mian Shehbaz Shareef, having all details of problems of poultry sector. He requested the Chief Minister to resolve the problems of this sector to control the cost of production of poultry products, so that an affordable chicken meat and eggs could be provided to the masses. Mr. Basit stressed upon the following problems to be resolved:-
Nation Poultry Congress and Exhibition 2009
- 11th National Poultry Congress and Exhibition 2009 was organized by Pakistan Poultry Association on 7th & 8th August, 2009 in Pearl Continental Hotel Lahore. Mr. Abdul Haye Mehta was given the responsibility of Chief Organizer of the Congress and the job was distributed amongst the Convenors Organizing Committees, by making different Sub Committees. 54 stalls were established in Emerald & Crystal Halls and about 3000 participants attended the congress & exhibition. A very informative seminars for two days was arranged in which top rank scholars & Scientists delivered Lectures on different topics for education of the Veterinarians and poultry farmers. The exhibition was set exceptionally well arranged by the Exhibition committee, which was equipped with all kind of medicine , information regarding farming and equipment required for the farming.
- Poultry industry is playing an effective role in protecting the interests of poultry sector and seeking the resolution of the problems confronting the poultry industry. Pakistan Poultry Association was formally organized in 1979 and carries a strong platform for the poultry industry and it is worthwhile to know that poultry industry developed its own, without any significant help/assistance of government of Pakistan. Punjab being the biggest centre of poultry, the Zonal Executive Committee of PPA (Punjab Zone) not only took every possible measures to resolve problems being faced by the poultry sector of the Punjab but in close coordination with the Central Executive Committee of Pakistan Poultry Association, also invites the attention of the Federal Government to the plight of poultry sector of the country effectively. Poultry Industry of Pakistan is making a tremendous contribution in bridging the gap between the supply and demand of meat protein. With the continuous depletion of supply of red meat, poultry is the cheapest available meat protein for our masses and as such is an effective check upon the spiraling animal protein prices. Pakistan Poultry Industry is the 2nd largest industry of Pakistan having 75 Billions investments. It is worth mentioning here that that despite all the factors the growth rate of this industry was 20 to 30 % in 1970s and 10 to 15% after 1980s. Still it is tremendously growing and has proved to be the major stumbling block in price increase of red meat. Otherwise rate of red meat would have gone up and may be at the rate of Rs.600 per KG.